60 years ago this month our original building burned. The fire reduced the building to the brownstone shell.
Passersby recall seeing piles of smoldering books and debris on Hope Street.
The original building was built in 1877 as a gift to the Town of Bristol by Maria (DeWolf) Rogers. The architect was Stephen C. Earle. He also designed the Burnside building.